Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Day!

It may only be 15 degrees outside and feels like zero, but inside our home it is warm. Not only warm from the heat but warm from the love also. My grandson and I just finished making peanut butter cookies. He tried to help me stir them up but said it was too hard and it was my job. He had to pour in the sugar and flour, and of course some landed on the counter but that was okay. At least he was trying to help. I made little balls and put them on the cookie sheet and he mashed them down with a fork. We had a lot of fun. After they were cooled, he had to take one to his Pappy and tell him to try the cookie that he made. As most of my MUIB friends know, we are raising him while mom and dad make visits and calls when it suits them. This is a moment that she should be sharing with her 5 year old son, not me. It was a "first" for him.

It irks me that more and more grandparents are raising their grandchildren than the parents are. Now I know that there are times when it has to be that way because of death of the parent(s), parent(s) is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, abusive or whatever. But to just leave them because they don't want to raise them is bull, which is the case in our situation. But I just look at the situation and know that he is better off with us than with either parent. And his mom is pregnant again. She needs another baby like she needs a hole in the head. (lol) But we won't be raising this one because she and our grandson's dad are divorced and this baby belongs to another man. Let his family raise this one.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. I just get irked at the situation at times but never at my grandson or the fact that we are raising him. He is the love of our lives and we are enjoying and treasuring every moment and "first" with him. The next "first" with him will be his graduation from preschool to kindergarden. At his preschool they are planning on a little festive celebration. I think that is great. My little boy is growing up.(lol) And since his parents see and call him when it suits them, they might not get to see that "first" because it may not suit me to tell them.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

Marla said...

Hello My Indiana MUIB Friend,

Just do the right thing with your little guy and all will be just fine....

Mine is taking a nap on his own and he started this nap a 6:30 p.m. and is just now waking up at 9:53 p.m. it is going to be a long night and I don't drink coffee...

OH well that is what being a mom is all about....LOL...

Your Friend,
**Marla**
Thanks for adding me in your blogroll....Your in mine..wink

Liberty said...

(((Hugs)))

Two of my best friends are raising their grandsons as their own. One has adopted and the other more than likely will.

You are doing a wonderful thing.

And did Marla say you were in Indiana? What part?

Cuz if you are close enough I might just have to stop by next time you make peanut butter cookies LOL

Love,
Lib

PS I added you to my blogroll and I subscribed to your Feedburner.