Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What's For Dinner???

The age old question. Your cabinets and freezer are full but you are still pondering what to fix for dinner. Nothing sounds good, or you just don't want to spend a lot of time cooking. Well, I have two suggestions for you.

First suggestion:

Poor man's salmon
Macaroni and cheese
Choice of vegetable

Poor man's salmon is nothing more than fried tuna patties. It tastes good without all the mess of fixing salmon. You can usually get 2-3 patties per can, so how many cans you will need depends on how many you have to feed. I use water based tuna. Drain the tuna, add 1 egg for every 3 cans you fix, add some crumbled up crackers, enough to make it easy to fix patties. Form into patties and fry until golden brown.

A quick and easy meal that will take you under an hour to fix.

Second suggestion:

Stew casserole

You can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, or left over beef. I have always made this with ground beef so I am not sure how it would taste with turkey or chicken. Again, the ingredient amounts depend on how many you are feeding and the size of casserole you want to fix. These amounts will fix a small casserole, about an 8x8 pan. You can use canned or fresh vegetables. I use canned vegetables because it takes less time to bake. If you want to use fresh and make baking time less, pre-cook your vegetables first.

Use two cans of whole potatoes, cut into hunks, two cans of carrots, and a pound of ground beef, cooked. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl with barbecue sauce, about a 1/2 cup (you can use more if you want a more barbecue taste). Put in oven proof dish, and put either biscuits or cornbread on top. Bake until topping is done in a 375 degree oven. You are not limited to carrots and potatoes. You can use whatever vegetables you want. I have not tried it this way but I guess you could you use a gravy mix instead of barbecue sauce.

Well, I hope these two suggestions makes dinner a little bit easier. Have a great day.

2 comments:

Marla said...

Yep it is cold enough....LOL....

Oh come on are you sure you won't help clean up...and guess what it likes like that agian today..and my husband cleaned it up last night...I think we have out grown our house..LOL

Keep warm my Indiana Friend...
**Marla**

CailinMarie said...

HaHa!
I making my version of stew casserole tonight! :)